The Leaside Business Park Association is comprised of many of the companies in the Leaside Employment Zone that are committed to seeing the business park flourish as in Industrial Employment zone within the City of Toronto. The City of Toronto has stressed the importance of maintaining these industrial areas as vibrant places to work, as it is critically important for people to work close to where they live.
The Leaside Park’s more than 250 companies have been key employers for more than 100 years and today these companies employ more than 6,000 people, including 1,900 in manufacturing and warehousing and 1,400 in offices. Since 2010 the total number of jobs has increased by 20%.
The LBPA continues to be active in a number of areas including:
- Improving the communication with our membership by updating our website making it easier to change and post new events quickly. Our goal is to be able to keep members informed about happenings quickly and create a place to share the success and challenges happenings within the park.
- Continuing to bring awareness to the City about the importance of industrial zones and protecting them. We regularly meet and express our needs with city staff and elected officials. From utilities to zoning to traffic our conversations are diverse but heard because we are larger than just one voice.
- Representing the LBPA at the Toronto Local Appeal Body (TLAB) challenging inappropriate zoning proposals that threaten the viability of the park’s future. Recent changes to the definition of Employment lands are making these challenges more difficult.
- Actively participating in the Laird in Focus study, (a city planning study looking at shaping the major streets around the intersection of Eglinton, Laird and Brentcliffe. The association’s active role raises awareness around traffic flow, safety around large vehicles, and access to public transportation, and makes sure that the interests of the Park’s members are considered when new developments are planned.
- We are also here to assist start-up companies and have a list of members that are interested in mentoring such start-ups to help them grow and succeed.
We encourage your participation in any of our subcommittees or as a Board Member. If you are interested in volunteering and assisting in any of our endeavors please reach out to any board member including myself. We would be happy to get you connected.
To find out more about what is happening in the Leaside Business Park Association please attend our annual general meeting or write to me directly.
Dag Enhorning, CPA, CA
President, Leaside Business Park Association
President, Siltech Corporation